What about dinner tonight?
How about a tortilla pie; another quick and easy recipe courtesy of my girl Martha Stewart’s Everday Food Magazine. I love that little food magazine.
Here is what you’ll need:
- 4 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for pan
(Note: The recipe calls for a springform pan which I do not own. As you can see in the picture I used a square glass dish. I sprayed it with cooking spray to avoid sticking.)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
- 3 packed cups loose baby spinach (about 5 ounces), torn into pieces(I used frozen cut leaf spinach)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese(I used mozzarella)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a paring knife or kitchen scissors to trim the tortillas to fit your pan.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion, cumin, and red-pepper flakes; season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion has softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Raise heat to medium-high; add beef and garlic. Cook, breaking up meat with a spoon until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Add corn and spinach; stir until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Place one tortilla in the prepared pan. Spreading evenly, top with 1 1/2 packed cups beef mixture, then 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat with two more layers. Top with last tortilla, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake pie until top is lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Run knife around edge of pan; remove sides. Using two wide metal spatulas, lift pie from bottom of pan, and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into wedges. If desired, serve with cilantro and sour cream.
Posted by She Cleans